Aligning Your Smile
Orthodontics Idaho Falls
As adult teeth come in and begin to mature, it is not uncommon for patients to experience alignment problems. Whether a patient is just beginning to experience these difficulties or is a long-time sufferer of misalignment, orthodontic treatment is the solution. Proper alignment of the teeth and jaw bone is the primary goal of orthodontic treatment at our cosmetic dental practice. By creating an even bite we can enhance the appearance of the smile while improving the physical health of the mouth to help patients avoid or alleviate common side effects of misalignment such as tooth damage, muscle strain, and TMJ disorder. For our patients from Ammon, Blackfoot, Rexburg, Shelley, and Idaho Falls, orthodontics treatment has successfully helped a great number of patients achieve a healthier and more beautiful smile.
Orthodontics Treatment Timeline
Orthodontics treatment requires a long-term commitment but results in a lifetime of oral health benefits. Each treatment will be unique based on the type of alignment problems that are present and the extent of correction that is needed. Because of this, the time required to achieve the desired results of orthodontic treatment will vary as well. On average, orthodontic treatment is complete within 12-18 months and can be broken down into the following phases:
- Planning phase: Orthodontic treatment will begin with a thorough examination of the teeth and jaw so that an appropriate treatment plan can be determined. In order to create this plan, we will take a full set of x-rays, retrieve 3-D images of the teeth and jaw with our cone-beam machine, and make impressions of the teeth. Using these diagnostic tools, effective treatment will be set in place.
- Treatment phase: Treatment will consist of placing braces on the teeth so that pressure can be applied to gradually shift the teeth. At Sandcreek Dental we use the Damon system of braces. The Damon system eliminates elastic ties and instead uses a self-ligating bracket. This creates a "gate" on the brace that holds the wire in place and allows for movement of the teeth with less friction than traditional braces. This system applies adequate pressure on the teeth, is more comfortable for patients, easier to clean, and can result in a shorter treatment time. Throughout treatment the teeth will be periodically examined to ensure that the desired results are being achieved.
- Completing treatment: At the end of treatment x-rays, 3-D images, and impressions of the teeth will again be taken to verify the success of treatment. Fixed or removable retainers will likely be used following treatment to ensure long-lasting results of orthodontics. Once braces have been removed, any damage that may have developed on the teeth due to misalignment can be corrected through one of our restorative dentistry treatments.
At Sandcreek Dental we rely on traditional orthodontic treatment because it has a proven track record of producing the most effective results. Our patients who undergo orthodontics treatment can expect to experience the following benefits:
- A more aesthetically pleasing smile
- Freedom from physical discomfort and jaw or joint pain
- Avoidance of unnatural wear and tear on the teeth
- Teeth that are easier to clean and care for
- Improved oral functions
Contact our Practice
If you have suffered physical or emotional discomfort as the result of misaligned teeth, we at Sandcreek Dental are here to help. Contact our practice at your earliest convenience to learn how orthodontics treatment can improve the health and aesthetics of your smile.