Custom Mouth Guards Non-Invasive Options for TMJ Disorder Treatment
The symptoms of temporomandibular joint disorder, or TMJ disorder, can dramatically disrupt your day-to-day well-being and quality of life. Fortunately, a mouth guard for TMJ disorder treatment can prevent further damage to your smile and alleviate symptoms such as headaches and facial pain.
Based on your unique smile, Dr. Mark Tall can design and craft a custom oral appliance to wear while you sleep. Ideally, this mouthguard reduces side effects almost immediately. If your smile has already suffered excessive wear and tear, Dr. Tall also provides same-day dental crowns at his Idaho Falls, ID, practice to restore strength and symmetry to your smile.
How Does a Mouth Guard Work?
Patients have to wear their oral appliances every night while they sleep. The mouth guard alleviates symptoms of TMJ disorder by:
- Distributing biting force evenly throughout your smile
- Acting as a protective barrier between your upper and lower arch
- Preventing wear from excessive grinding
- Repositioning the jaw to a more ideal, less strenuous resting location
- Decreasing jaw movement while you sleep
Because you can begin wearing your mouthguard immediately after you receive it, you may notice the outcomes of this treatment very quickly.
Custom Mouth Guards vs. Over-the-Counter Appliances
While many patients suffering from TMJ disorder choose store-bought appliances due to their lower cost, there are several features that make custom appliances the optimal choice:
- Fabrication: Dr. Tall and his team will create custom oral appliances to save you the time and hassle of molding a store-bought mouth guard at home.
- Fit: Dr. Tall creates custom appliances using your own unique impressions so that they fit as comfortably as possible. Alternatively, store-bought appliances are often one-size-fits-all and do not take into account the shape of your teeth, your bite, and the position of your jaws.
- Outcomes: It is important to begin any dental treatment under the supervision of a trained dentist. Wearing a mouth guard that does not fit correctly can make your condition even worse, result in permanent changes to your smile, and lead to additional oral health issues.
Undergoing a dentist-prescribed TMJ disorder treatment is the best way to ensure satisfying outcomes.
The Treatment Process
Every treatment starts with a consultation at our office. During this meeting, Dr. Tall and his team will review your medical history, discuss your symptoms, and ultimately determine whether a custom mouthguard can effectively reduce your discomfort.
A mouthguard is a simple, cost-effective treatment that can...relieve discomfort almost immediately.
During your appointment, we will also obtain impressions of your smile. These impressions are sent to a trusted lab, where your custom oral appliance will be created. Once your device is ready, you can come back to our office for a fitting. If the appliance meets your expectations, you can begin wearing it on a nightly basis.
If we identify teeth that are excessively worn or damaged due to excessive grinding, we may also recommend dental crowns. Crowns can restore strength and aesthetics to damaged or broken teeth. Our practice is equipped with an on-site CEREC® milling machine, allowing us to provide dental crowns on the same day of your appointment.
Find Relief Today
If you suffer from a TMJ disorder, a mouthguard is a simple, cost-effective treatment that can improve your symptoms and relieve discomfort almost immediately. To find out if you are a good candidate for a mouth guard, call Sandcreek Dental at (208) 525-4780 or reach out to us online.