Porcelain Veneers Can Give You a Dazzling Smile
Did you know that you could have a dazzling, vibrant smile in as little as two weeks? With porcelain veneers, Idaho Falls dentist Dr. Mark Tall can transform your smile that quickly. Porcelain veneers are wafer-thin ceramic shells that are bonded to the facial surface of a patient’s teeth. This simple cosmetic procedure can conceal a variety of cosmetic imperfections, including discoloration, chips, cracks, misshapen teeth, and minor misalignment. If you would like to learn more about veneers, contact us today.
Candidates for Porcelain Veneers
Candidates for porcelain veneers should have good oral health and the desire to dramatically enhance the appearance of their smile. If you have a condition requiring restorative dentistry, such as tooth decay or gum disease, it should be treated by Dr. Tall before you have your veneers placed. Veneers are an especially good option for patients who are looking to correct more than one cosmetic concern, such as misshapen teeth that are also stained or discolored.
In order to fully evaluate your candidacy for porcelain veneers, Dr. Tall will examine your overall dental health and condition of your teeth. He may also evaluate your candidacy for LUMINEERS®, which are extremely thin veneers that require a minimal amount of tooth preparation. During your consultation, he will discuss your aesthetic goals with you, describe the treatment in detail, and answer any questions you may have.
Overview of Procedure
Porcelain veneers generally require two visits, in addition to your initial consultation. During the first visit, the teeth are prepared to accommodate the veneers. This is achieved by lightly buffing your teeth to remove a small amount of enamel and allow for the slight thickness of the veneer. Then, Dr. Tall will take an impression of your teeth to send to a dental lab. There, a ceramicist will custom craft your new veneers. Fabrication takes approximately two weeks.
During the second visit, Dr. Tall will apply a special etching solution to your teeth. Next, he will apply bonding cement to the veneer and position it on the tooth. A curing light is used to harden the cement, creating a permanent bond. Finally, Dr. Tall will evaluate your bite and make any necessary fine adjustments. A follow-up visit may be scheduled in about one week. At that time, Dr. Tall will re-check the fit of your new veneers and make sure you are satisfied with your results.
Benefits of Veneers
Porcelain veneers offer a number of benefits to patients. Veneers:
- Improve the appearance of your smile in just two weeks
- Have a longer life expectancy and more natural appearance than cosmetic dental bonding
- Are translucent, which means that some light passes through them and reflects off the internal tooth dentin, giving them a lustrous, natural appearance
- Are extremely versatile; they can add symmetry to a misaligned teeth, and even lengthen short teeth
- Can be combined with other cosmetic treatments, such as teeth whitening or orthodontics, so you can achieve a complete smile makeover
- Do not require any special care; highly stain resistant and durable, they can be cared for with simple brushing and flossing